The premise of the design began on the eve of Milan San Remo 2010. The mission statement, to produce a rain jacket that would meet the demands of a Pro Tour rider and in doing so provide a technical advantage over existing apparel. No easy task.
An initial meeting between Bobby Julich, the then technical director of Team Saxo Bank and SPORTFUL’s product development guy, Steve Smith would outline the criteria needed.
Key Saxo Bank riders were invited to make suggestions on the design. The specification was built upon a melting pot of ideas, favorite features on existing jackets but more importantly how these could be improved.
What ensued over several months was a development process, of athlete feedback, product and design enhancement. Several prototypes went through the most arduous of testing, the race and training schedule of a Saxo Bank Pro.
This jacket was built to the exact specifications of Team Saxo Bank / SunGard to keep the riders comfortable and healthy through the worst conditions. Utilizing the new Gore-Tex Active Shell fabrics that offer enhanced breathability in a lightweight construction.
SPORTFUL have built this jacket first and foremost to protect. The high collar, double closure front flap, snap away extra long tail, draw cord waist and zippered sleeve openings all play their part.
It protects the rider from the rain and cold but when the race heats up, it’s easy to ventilate this jacket by opening up the sleeves, the pit zips and using only the Velcro opening.
As Richie Porte says “That’s the best jacket ever!”
• Ultra Lightweight Gore-Tex Active Shell Material. Totally water proof, minimum weight, and enhanced breathability.
• Camlock zippers at wrists for easy on / off even with gloves. Doubling up to provide additional ventilation.
• Armpit zippers for extra venting when required.
• Extra long tail flap with snap closures to stow away when not required.
• Zipper and Velcro closure on the front of the jacket
• Reflective piping.
• Pro Issue, developed and designed in conjunction with Team Saxo Bank – SunGard.
For further details and images have a look at the C3 Products blog -